My Philosophy

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when we have footsteps on the moon!"

Monday 6 June 2011

D-Day

This is an interesting topic. Can an Englishman in Germany celebrate D-Day? Do even Englishmen in England celebrate D-Day? I don't see it as a day to celebrate, but certainly one History should never forget. The greatest deception in History and possibly the most important day in recent History.

It's said that Churchill, King George VI  & Roosevelt had speeches prepared for if the day did not go well. What a world we would be in if they had to be given!

All of us English know what we say when we first go to Germany. The words from the legendary Fawlty Towers "Don't mention the war". I feel I am breaking this rule with this post, but heigh ho.

Here is a picture I see every day on my way to work:


Obviously left over from WWII, if there is another tank crossing the bridge then slow down :). I hope this sign is never taken down.

Edit: I learned that this is not in fact speed limits for tanks, but if the tank has a weight classification of 70 only 1 can cross at a time. Silly silly ausländer!

If the Allies lost the Battle of Normandy what language do you think we would be speaking? Still English? German? Russian? Japanese? American? Let me know what you think.

I think we all agree that it all worked out well in the end.

Viel Spaß homies!

No comments:

Post a Comment